I don’t know about you, but I can find myself feeling pretty restless at this time of year. The transition away from Winter can be a long one. The promise of Spring feels so sweet when it arrives. Those first warm rays on the skin and the sound of bird song lift my heart so much. And just as I am about to lean right in to the new season, Winter announces she isn’t quite done as she delivers one last blast…
I have noticed over the past few years that my mind can become restless at this time of year. My mood and energy feel as mixed as the weather. One foot planted amongst the hopeful wildflowers of Spring, the other hanging back in the heavy malaise of Winter’s end.
Common feelings that can arise at this time of year are; feeling ungrounded, anxiety, excitement, hope, feeling rushed, disappointed, overwhelmed, panic, confusion and lack of clarity among others.
I wanted to share some of my favourite mindful practices with you that I find supportive to make time for at this time of year:
- Getting outdoors often, even just to take a few fresh and cleansing breaths throughout the day.
- Notice the birdsong, close your eyes and tune in to the different sounds you can hear.
- Standing near a tree, feel your feet on the ground. Alternate pressing each foot against the ground a little more as you imagine the sap rising up from the tree’s roots right up through it’s trunk and crown, bringing life. Now imagine your own sap rising within you.
- Make some time to sit down with a cup of tea or some food. Consume it slowly and mindfully without your phone. Notice the flavours, colour, temperature, texture and aromas.
- Plant seeds or tend to your plants slowly and mindfully.
- Head out to some nearby woodland and observe the trees; are any in leaf yet? can you tell any that may be different species? Do any have flowers?
- Spend some time around water, observe the reflections, ripples and any signs of life within it.
I would love to hear if you resonate with anything within this post. In my next post I share about making a Wild brew! Spring blessings!